Monday 13 January 2014

Ramblings about full time work.

Work is a funny thing really. I was thinking about it today and it’s quite serious now. For the previous 7 or so years of my life it was something I HAD to do on the side of my education if I wanted to have a social life or own anything like clothes or well anything really.

It was something that didn't’t really matter too much, a few hours here, a few hours there. Nothing that took up more than 15 or so hours of my week except when doing over time. But now it’s something that is part of me and part of my life. Now I am in a job to get a career, something I am interested in and studied for this for 5+ years. It’s not something to just fund my social life and clothes and other things I wish to buy, it’s become a part of my identity. I spend over 30% of my life in this chair, in this office doing this job.

It’s now important that it meets the goals I want it to meet and it’s a comfortable and nice environment for me. The last year and a half has tipped my world upside down. I have always been in education from the age of 14-23 I have had small part time jobs here and there. I haven’t had any real responsibilities and I had more freedom than I knew what to do with.


Now it’s changed and I am an important part of a team and I have very little freedom and free time so I have to make the most of the time I get! I have to make sure that the job I’m doing is right for me because I spend 8.5 hours of my day here +1hour traveling. Then 8 hours sleeping you are looking at very little ‘me time’ in the day. This was something I really struggled with when I first started working, I thought what the fuck is the point to life! Admittedly my view point hasn't changed much, but I now except that this is something I have to do to have a nice life and until I win the Euro Millions I will make the most of the time I do have at home and the nice things I can afford to do and afford to buy!

I guess it scares me how adulthood has finally started to take its grip.
My next plan in life isn't where to go with my friends or what college project is due, or YAY summer holidays.
Now it's saving up for a house and looking at really starting my life for the first time. Its helped with a new job, a new identity and an forgotten past.


No comments:

Post a Comment