Thursday 7 April 2016

Making my Star Trek Skant phase 1


As I wrote about a few weeks ago here, Matt and I are going to destination Star Trek in October. This year I have decided to try my first ever cosplay. I have wanted to try some cosplay for a while now and I have also REALLY wanted a Star Fleet Uniform Skant!

So over the Easter break on the spur of the moment I picked up some fabric and a dress pattern. My plan was to make a basic fit and flare dress and then alter that to have the correct neckline. That didn’t work as the pattern I bought didn’t go up to my size even though my measurements were on the back of the package. NOT IMPRESSED.

So at the weekend I put my thinking hat on and decided to actually use the original pattern to get a more authentic dress. I did a lot of research and actually there isn’t much out there to help me make it which is a shame. You can buy the pattern but with p&p to the UK you are looking at £30 for the pattern alone.

I managed to find a few people who had used the original pattern that they used in the show and they seemed to make it work so I found the pattern and I started off my blowing it up to the correct size. My brain at this point was going OH MY GOODNESS THIS ISN’T GOING TO WORK IT WILL GO WRONG GOD HOW WILL I DO THIS. But I kept going!
Original Pattern

I then printed it out on A3 and stuck all the pieces together and then cut out the pattern pieces. At this point I was feeling rather overwhelmed as I had NO IDEA what the size of the original pattern was so I didn’t know how to increase the pattern to fit me.

I spoke with a wonderful woman I work with who suggested I make the dress from the current pattern and then add slices in to get the fit right and redraw the pattern once I know what needed to go where. So that is what I did, I measured the dress flat on the floor and worked out what extra bits I needed to do. Luckily for me the arms and neckline seemed to be ok which was great and the waist and bust wasn’t too bad either. It was just the hips that needed a lot adding as I have wide hips and I want something that skims them and is more skater style.

Dress put together from original pattern pieces

I started by adding 2 slices (one in the sides front and back) and it fitted much better but was still clinging to my hips. I then added two more slices in the front and back centre. I was really happy with how this is now fitting! It is nwo skimming my hips and fitted around the bust and the length is now more decent (although still too short).



So the plan now is to re draw the pattern pieces with the extra widths and length and then re cut the pieces out and sew together a first prototype. I am hoping with all hope that it goes together well as this has been less complicated than I first predicted so please do keep your fingers crossed for me!


I don’t think I will get much done before the weekend now but no doubt I will get completely lost with this project over the weekend, I may even have the beginnings of finished project made!


No comments:

Post a Comment