Tuesday 13 June 2017

Tokyo trip, travelling and arriving in a crazy city.

I can't believe I am writing this blog post it makes me so sad. Mostly because I'm writing this means that my trip is over. Well almost as I currently write this I am 34002ft in the air on my way back to Paris to ran like crazy people to get our connecting flight back to London!

Although when I post this I no doubt will be back at work feeling very sorry for myself (which I am we got home a few weeks ago!). I posted a while ago that Matt and I booked our first real big trip together, Tokyo! I cannot believe how quickly 5 months flew by and before we knew it, it was time to leave for the airport.

I will write a post for each day, but I will start with a big bit of news. On the Sunday Matt asked me to marry him. So I am flying back a fiancé with a beautiful ring on my finger!! I will write all about it when I write about Sundays day but I felt like that news was too important to wait, but for now I will start at day one!


I would be lying if I said I was excited for the trip. To be honest with you I was terrified and so nervous. I had so many worries and fears, having never travelled to another country with a different language without people there to guide me was terrifying and although I wasn't on my own, Matt had even less experience with travelling than I did. I think I had gotten myself a little worked up about lots of things, such as taking to people, eating out (again communication barrier and I'm such a picker eater), how to we use the trains. How do we find the air bnb, what if the air bnb was a scam as everyone kept telling me about..... so many worries.....

However before I knew it Wednesday rolled around and my Dad being the champaign that he is offered to drive us to the airport. We headed off before 7pm up the M25 to Heathrow airport. We ended up being so early that we had to wait an hour before we could even check in our baggage but it flew by and before we knew it we were in Paris waiting for the connecting flight. It was quite a long stop over (around 3 hours) and then time to board the big plane to Tokyo. The flight was truly awful. Matt being 6ft6" did NOT fit in the seats. We were crammed into the seats and it was just awful. I was stuck and squish in and by the time we finally landed mysteries poor feet had ballooned up. 12 hours coped up on a plane with very little sleep the night before I truly felt terrible.

I felt as bad as I looked but I couldn't believe we were in Japan!

However the fun after that soon started. We got ourselves a Pasmo card (a bit like a oyster travel card) and headed to the train platform with my big A3 printed instructions and maps. So the first things I was worrying about was the trains, but hey presto unnecessary worry as they were easy to navigate especially as I am used to the London Underground and it was quite similar.

Funny little illustration telling you to mind your hands in the doors!
After one train change we arrived at Shibuya and walked outside to be hit by a wall of heat!! Straight away we saw Shibuya crossing and it was a real sight to see, and just as busy as you can imagine it. My second fear after the train was finding the air bnb and seeing it was ok... another unnecessary fear as we found it fairly easily and it was easy to get into and we were immediately pleased with the room! It was just like the photos although even smaller than the photos. I didn't mind that at all as I know apartments in Tokyo are tiny and this was far bigger than a hotel room.

Shibuya Crossing
We started our trip off with collapsing on the bed and sleeping for a while as the journey had really taken its toll on me. We woke up I think early evening and headed out into Shibuya to explore and find some dinner. Although I was feeling a little more relaxed..... we were still both quite over whelmed and cheated by going to McDonald's for dinner! That was our first proper interaction with someone who spoke Japanese! We guessed if all else failed we know McDonalds menu so we can just point and know what we were getting. And hey presto that also ended up not being as bad as I had imagined! Matt even managed to order a crepe too and I managed to find an animate straight away too (massive anime chain in Japan)! AND OH MY GOODNESS it was like heaven in there. Just surrounded by all the things I love and soooo much Yuri!!! On Ice. I managed to pick up some Doujinshi for my favourite ships as well as some badges and pins in blind packets!

Some of the MANY blind packs I bought.

Shibuya at night

Matt and I just after Matt bought his first of many Crepes
After a little exploring we headed to a 7eleven and picked up some green tea Kit Kats, I had been SO excited to try these as well as some breakfast for the morning and snacks and then headed back to the Air BnB. We planned our day out for Friday and went to bed for some much needed rest. However I need to also just say that OH MY GOODNESS Green Tea Kit Kats are out of this world. I LOVE them.


And that was out first day, well half a day in Tokyo. I fell in love immediately and to be honest with you it was all so surreal and amazing that I couldn’t even believe I was really there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment