Monday 2 February 2015

Film Review Mortdecai.




My review this weekend is of Mortdecai.

I had seen a lot of bad press about this film, but as I have the cineworld card, and I like to make my own mind up of films I went to see it on Saturday.

The film followed an eccentric rich English toff, who is in to art collecting. Him and his wife are in a lot of debt and he is requited the police to help out with tracking a missing painting after a murder is committed.

It follows a typical slap stick English comedy feel, along the lines of a Mr Bean or the Carry on films. It’s got a silliness about it, but I personally find this type of comedy slightly dated, and although the Carry on films are still hilarious to this day, it seems to be a thin line between hilarious silly and trying too hard tacky silly when attempted in modern films.

This film I think is on a thin line here. One of the main characters ‘Jock’ really stops the film passing over that line. He plays a typical rough, tough cockney London guy who is Mortdcai’s man servant. His character is subtle enough that you really take a shine to his and he is quietly funny, where are Johnny Depp’s character Mortdcai, lacks this subtly and moments which I believe should be funny, tend not to work so well.

I found the story line quite dull after a while, and although there are a lot of twists in the story, I still found myself a little bored with it half way through, I think the attention was mostly given to the comedy rather than exciting plot, but as that was lacking in some points it never really dragged you in at any point and immersed you in the film.


I would say this film would make a great Sunday afternoon film and would recommend it for that. The sort of film that doesn’t require your full attention, but something to add a smile to your face and curl up on the sofa to enjoy after a big roast dinner. 

It isn't a bad film, but I wouldn't recommend paying cinema prices to see it so I would give it 2 stars out of 5!

Hope you all have a fab week :)





No comments:

Post a Comment