Thursday 2 July 2015

Comic Con how I prepare!

So we are now into the count down for Comic Con. WAHEY! And this year is looking like it is going to be a corker! I am very excited. I alas have missed out on a chance to have a photo with Charles Dance, however I have booked my photo shoot with Richard Dean Anderson. I have also this week booked a Game of Throne talk and a Richard Dean Anderson talk! The Game of Thrones talk has a fab line up:
  • Charles Dance
  • Carice Van Houten
  • Rose Leslie
  • Daniel Portman

I think that is a fab line up and I can’t wait to go to it! I am slowly meeting the whole line up of SG1, I now only have Claudia Black to go until I have met all of them!

As this is my 5th London Film and Comic, I thought I would write up a little what to expect and what I do to plan for Comic Con!

First of all get your tickets. I used to wait until a few weeks before booking my tickets so I could get all the things I wanted in one go and save on p&p. This year however tickets have been selling out so I would advise once someone is announced you want to see you book your ticket and entry ticket in one go! There seems to be a large number of people who booked photos and other tickets but waited to get entry tickets…. Then they sold out! So get your entry tickets as soon as you buy any other tickets.



You can’t really do much planning until a week or so before the event as they don’t announce talks or the schedule before then, but I would advise arranging and planning travel! This year I am pleased to say I will be traveling from my new flat which is around 4 minute walk from the station with a mccy d’s breakfast on the way.  So the plan is a mccy d’s breakfast and then hoping on the train. It works out considerably cheaper to get a return rather than a travel card so we will be doing that as we are always too tired to venture anywhere else in London. Be warned you will be KNACKERED afterwards!

Arrival time I would advise the earlier the better. Every year so far the queues have gotten bigger and bigger! I am hoping to get to Olympia for around 8:11am. The doors open at 9am so it is a little later than I would like to get there, but currently I don’t have ‘too’ much planned so that should be plenty of time. If you have LOADS to do and LOADS of plans then I would advise just getting there as soon as possible. I never have more than a few things booked so I'm not too fussed about getting in too early! But hopefully I will be in by 9:30am at the latest. This the new ticket system this year I think queuing times will be much less! I hope anyway!

When I get in I usually head straight for any tickets I want to buy or any free talks that require tickets. I usually have a plan for the day after the schedule is posted up! Makes the day easier and makes sure I can get to everything and everyone I want to go to! I also like to plans and make lists, but I would advise it if you do have a lot of people to meet!


As far as things to take, I also pick a nice dress and outfit as I always get photoshoots so obviously I want to be in a nice outfit! I usually prefer a backpack, it leaves my hands free and helps prevent my back hurting (I tend to get a bad back). My backpack is pretty small but enough room for the bits I need. I also take:
  • Deodorant
  • Water
  • Make up
  • Camera
  • Phone
  • Portable charger
  • Cash, cash, cash!

Deodorant, because well I will warn you it is going to be RAMMED In there and you get very hot and I like to feel fresh when I meet any guests! Water because it is rammed and gets very hot! Make up to just make sure I haven't sweated half of it off my face before my photo! Camera and phone to document the day and keep in touch with the outside world, and if I get lost I can all my over half! And my phone never lasts all day so a portable charge works well too!

Cash is my next thing. Even if you don’t really plan on buying things still take some! The queues for the cash machines are INSANE and most stalls don’t accept cards… actually pretty much none do from previous experience! 


You will most likely get caught up with the excitement of the day and spend more than you planned so defiantly take some cash! I will most likely take £100+. I have no intention in spending that much, but I would rather have it than wish I had taken it out!

I would advise planning a spot of lunch too. Look up the area before you go and pick somewhere to eat. You will need to stop and eat at some point. I like to go out of the venue and sit down and rest, but you can just grab something and eat on the go or find a ‘quiet’ spot to eat!

I would mostly advise just enjoying yourself, try not to get too caught up in the planning and stress and just relax and see where the day takes you! It is an amazing atmosphere and everyone is lovely. You will see some amazing cosplay and art, and obviously see some of the stars you love in the flesh too! AND make sure you eat and drink enough cause SERIOUSLY it is a tiring day and if it's hot like it has been the last 2 years you will need all the liquids you can get!!

HOWEVER through all this excitement I will mention post con blues, they are just awful and hit you like a ton of bricks!

So the count down begins - 2 weeks this Saturday! I CANNOT WAIT!







No comments:

Post a Comment